WISP To FISP: 5 Things You Should Know!
Back in June, we hosted a free educational webinar on some of the important things to keep in mind when taking your business from a WISP to a FISP. In case you missed it, we’ve decided to share some of those insights here on the blog!
Who should consider shifting from WISP to FISP?
Ask yourself this question: Do you want to play offense or defense with your business strategy? Not into sports analogies? Try this instead: Do you want to be proactive or reactive with your business strategy? If you answered “offense” and/or “proactive”, then you may be ready to make the jump from WISP to FISP.
What should you do?
When it comes to making this shift, there is no one-and-only way to do it. Here are some things to consider – Do you want…
- Best quality?
We know: ALL OF THE ABOVE! But it doesn’t work that way, so think about what is of the utmost importance to you and this will help to drive what you will need to do.
When is the right time to make the shift?
Clients we have worked with always say NOW or YESTERDAY once they are on the other side of the project, so know that the feelings of uncertainty do tend to fade. Until then, ask yourself is it:
- Financially feasible?
- Time to upgrade anyway?
- Time of year – is it a factor?
- Is there competition nearby?
- Are we interested in a long-term or short-term investment?
Where should you do it?
- What makes the most sense?
- Do we want to focus on our current footprint or edge out at this time?
- Home density
- Proximity to Transport Network
- Take rates? Highest first?
Why should we make this shift?
- Does the business case make sense?
- Economics/rate of return
- Is there funding availible?
- Is a long-term presense in the community a goal?
How can we get this up and rolling?
- Funding – Grants, Loans, State, Federal, RDOF…
- Sign-ups/Pre-sale customers
- Marketing (Announcements, Door Hangers…)
- Project Management
- Customer Complaint Management
INTANGIBLES – There is ALWAYS something!
- Things we didn’t think would be a problem…
- Things we thought would and weren’t…
- Warranty/Retainage/Liquidated Damages
- Permits /Fees/Liabilities
- Established yards, concrete driveways, etc.
- Clean Up/Restoration
- Take Rates, Drops and Splicing (Track?)
- As-Builts and Records going forward? Options
- Ongoing maintenance and outages (Master Contract?)
- The impact of Social Media on build (Positive and Negative)
A LOT to consider – we know. We don’t take for granted how much there is to keep in mind, so we created a checklist on this topic. Click here to request a free copy (we’ll also send you a link to a recording of the June webinar)!
Questions? We’re always happy to help – click here to contact our team!